We understand that, particularly for those of you who use our services on a regular basis, it will be a bit of a struggle to manage when you can’t see us as you normally do. We have put together some do’s and don’ts to help get you through:
- Use cotton buds. Since you are on our website we know that this goes without saying really! But we will say it anyway: cotton buds are not designed to remove wax and debris from your ear canal. Not only will they push the material deeper into your ear canal, there is significant risk of you injuring your ear canal, or eardrum. Any other objects (we hear about people using hairclips or car keys!) should not be placed in ear canals either!
- Use ear candles. There is no evidence that they help remove wax from ear canal, at all. There is, however, lots of evidence that they are potentially harmful. Best case scenario they might drop wax into your ear canal which may add to the debris that is troubling you, and worst case scenario they may burn your ear canal.
- Use ear drops. Unless they were prescribed for YOU for your ear condition. And if they are yours, check the expiry date.
- Keep your ears dry. If your problem is due to a bacterial or fungal infection then a dark damp spot is a lovely place to grow. We suggest
- Using swim plugs if you have them, or cotton wool (covered in a layer of vaseline) if you don’t, while you shower to prevent water from entering your ear canals
- Drying your ears twice daily by directing the air from a hairdryer down your ear canal. Don’t forget to use your hairdryer on the lowest fan and heat settings
- Keep your fingers out of your ears. As itchy as your ear canals may get, relieving this by rubbing with your fingers is not smart. This is for a couple of reasons
- Your fingers or fingernails can break the delicate skin of the ear canal and this provides an entry for germs
- You may be introducing bacteria and fungi to your ear canal.
- Contact us if you need to. We can have one of our ear nurses call you to give you advice over the phone
- Come and see us as soon as we are open